Sunday, March 9, 2014

Benchmarking

     After review of my blog from this semester, I have some catching up I need to do. My project needs some more updating because I don't have all the posts involving my topic. In the eyes of my viewers, my blog is what most would call your "typical" high school students work. My posts lately have gotten lazy and I really need to pick it up. This shouldn't be a problem however because for the most part, I have most of the work done but not up on my blog. I've had a few personal problems outside school that has effected my posting frequency and I know shouldn't be used as an excuse but I am now working on getting back into the daily routine. I have been working on researching two fields at the moment and still am having trouble trying to determine which one is more appealing to me.
      In class recently, it has come to my attention that maybe instead of trying to pick one, I should try to find a way to implement the two together. Somebody in class during discussion actually presented a good idea which will help me to get going in that direction. The idea of engineering products like prosthetic legs and braces of different sorts have been a common link between physical therapy and engineering that I was looking for. So recently, I have no been in the process of researching the technologies that go into making support for the human body and how they actually work. It is quiet interesting to me considering that I have spent plenty of time in different splints and braces through out my years of sports. These supports are vital to active people because with sprained ankle, knee supporters, etc, have provided protection to athletes with injuries that would normally be able to restrict them. My personal experiences using such devices have shown me that these are a major part of sports and I see first hand how they benefit the user.
     I have also been doing one on one research with the fields. After my research with physical therapy, I can see myself going that route. It will keep me in a job where I'm still around something that has been a huge part of my life. Going from athlete to physical therapist I feel would be a great transition because I will better understand the physical and emotional state of each person. It's surprising that the field actually must deal with the emotional states of the people they are rehabilitating can be quiet drastic. Telling someone they are out for the season can cause a lot of stress on that person and more than likely, your going to catch a reaction that may not be pleasant, but being a former athlete who has heard those words before, can relate to that person and help to calm them down and do everything in my power to put them back in action as soon as possible.
     I've looked into engineering very much as well and long than I have for physical therapy. It has been a hobby for me all my life so it was natural for me to go this route. I've come to learn through my research that there's much more to engineering than just building things. It is also understanding how and why these things work and what they are best used for. I've never had any kind of training or education of any type involving engineering so my plan is to try it out once I'm in college. I'm not to sure who I reach out to for this field or who is the best at what they do because I've never really looked into who is the best at their field of engineering.
     As of now, I'm not to sure how I actually turn this research into a presentable project and that's where I've been stuck. I've asked for help but it really doesn't make sense what I'm making out of all this other than finding what career I really want to look at.

No comments:

Post a Comment